The skin of a new baby is as delicate as it is soft. And that can mean it’s also easily irritated, leading to rashy, inflamed patches – and one unhappy little baby. While conventional creams and lotions may offer temporary relief, a close look at the ingredients list (and a bit of online research) can quickly reveal alarming news.
Unsafe and downright toxic chemicals are routinely used in creams and ointments designed to treat skin conditions like diaper rash and baby eczema. Toxins like BHA (a synthetic antioxidant, known endocrine and possible carcinogen) and parabens are the most common culprits, but the list is startlingly extensive. Even the fragrances used to make these creams smell nice are too often derived from synthetics associated with allergies and organ system toxicity. It’s even more worrying when we consider that the skin is our largest organ and incredibly absorbent to boot. What risks are we taking by applying these unsafe chemicals repeatedly to the little bodies of our babies?
Fortunately, there are alternatives to these products. Safe, effective skincare for your baby can be found in the form of botanical remedies. You just need to know where to look.
• Coconut oil has long been advocated by herbalists for its ability to soothe troublesome skin conditions like dermatitis, eczema, allergic skin reactions and inflammation. With its high levels of lauric acid, coconut oil has both antiviral and antibacterial qualities. It’s rich in antioxidants and easily absorbed.
• Neem oil is pressed from the fruits and seeds of the neem tree, an evergreen native to India. It is prized in Ayurveda and often dubbed the “village pharmacy” for its antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. This moisturizing oil contains vitamin E and has been used for centuries for both medicinal and cosmetic applications, including problematic skin conditions.
• Castor oil, extracted from the seeds of the castor oil plant, has been shown to reduce inflammation and soothe dry, itchy skin. A natural emollient, it penetrates deeply for soft, smooth skin.
• Plantain is an herb with rich antibacterial and antiseptic properties. It contains high doses of allantoin, an anti-inflammatory phytochemical that speeds healing. It has been used as a traditional cure for skin conditions for centuries.
• Shea butter comes from the nuts of the Shea tree, which grows in the Western African savannah. It’s known for its soothing, anti-inflammatory properties and is widely used as a skin protectant.
The perfect blend of these ingredients can make a world of difference for a baby suffering from itchy patches of eczema or a chapped bottom. No matter what the skin affliction, the most effective remedy is the one that works quickly and safely. Our Intensive Baby Balm is USDA certified organic and clinically proven to be both hypoallergenic and non-irritating. It’s safe for even the most sensitive skin and formulated with a blend of coconut, neem and castor oils, plantain, shea butter and other botanical ingredients. The result is instant relief for itchy or irritated skin. You’ll find no fillers, dyes, fragrances, sulfates, parabens or other unsafe ingredients – just honest, effective skincare to soothe your baby’s skin and begin the healing process.
Don’t risk your baby’s health. Research the ingredients in every cream or ointment you use on that little body, and compare them to what’s in our Intensive Baby Balm today.
Tags: baby balm, baby skincare, diaper rash, eczema