Helichrysum comes from the sunflower family, with over 600 species sharing the name. There are both annual and perennial varieties, and they are all characterized by their bright colors. The italicum species is a perennial herb – small and shrubby with little yellow flowers that smell of curry when crushed – from which a powerful essential oil is extracted. The potent oil from the italicum flowers, produced through a steam-distilling process, goes by several names, including “Everlasting” or “Immortelle.” But no matter what you call it, Helichrysum italicum is an amazingly well-rounded essential oil with a laundry list of benefits. And that’s exactly why you’ll find it in our Intensive Stretch Mark Oil.
Helichrysum italicum, characterized by its distinctively earthy yet fruity scent, was used historically as a first-aid oil thanks to its anti-coagulating and wound healing properties, which include reducing swelling, disinfecting and promoting healing with tissue regeneration. Other properties that round out Helichrysum italicum include:
• The ability to fade blemishes, scars and stretch marks.
• Stimulating the grown of new skin tissue thanks to the highest known amount of diketones in any essential oil.
• Soothing irritation and fading redness in skin conditions like rosacea and dermatitis. It has been compared to chamomile because it’s so calming and gentle, and it’s safe for those with extra sensitive skin.
• Moisturizing components to reduce and prevent dryness and cracking, making the skin soft and hydrated.
• It’s also a known antibacterial (effective even against Staphylococcus, making it useful for reducing breakouts in those with a tendency to acne), antioxidant, antimicrobial, antispasmodic and anti-allergen essential oil.
Helichrysum italicum is celebrated for its natural anti-aging benefits. Its unique ability to relieve inflammation while simultaneously regenerating skin tissue – the very reason it has been used in first aid for decades – makes it a wonderful and natural addition to skin care products. As an antioxidant, Helichrysum italicum protects the skin from free radical damage and gives it a firmer, more youthful appearance.
As a natural remedy for health conditions, Helichrysum can also be used in poultices and tea against coughing and respiratory conditions. It’s a non-toxic, non-irritating safe oil with no known contraindications, and its anti-inflammatory properties give it a reputation as an effective pain reliever. The oil works topically for those suffering from join and arthritic pain as well as from sprains. It’s also a known detoxifier. To assist the liver, the oil can be massaged into the feet.
These properties and benefits all add up to an impressive résumé for such an unassuming little herb! In our search for the most effective natural ingredients to formulate our Intensive Stretch Mark Oil, Helichrysum italicum was an obvious candidate. Beyond being soothing and hydrating, our oil is designed to minimize the appearance of existing stretch marks while preventing new marks from forming, and Helichrysum italicum is a potent addition that does just that.
Tags: helichrysum italicum, stretch mark oil